It comes as no surprise that many patients find themselves struggling to combat the effects of genetics, weight changes, and pregnancy. Excess fat, sagging skin, and poor muscle tone can develop along the abdomen and cause low self-esteem and body image issues for many patients. Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, can give you the toned and firm abdominal contour you have always desired for a more attractive and defined waistline.
Achieved With Tummy Tuck Surgery
Tummy Tuck Options
Mini Tummy Tuck
- Performed on the lower abdomen only
- An incision is placed just above the bikini line
- The abdominal muscles are tightened using deep sutures
- Excess lower abdominal skin is removed
- The remaining tissues are tightened and draped to improve stomach contour
- Ideal for patients in need of muscle tightening with limited skin removal
Traditional Tummy Tuck
- Treats the entire abdomen
- A horizontal incision is placed along the bikini line between the hip bones
- A second incision is made around the navel
- Deep sutures are then used to tighten the weak abdominal muscles
- Excess skin is removed
- Best for patients who need both skin and muscle tightening in the upper and lower abdomen to improve their abdominal contours
Extended Tummy Tuck
- Treats the abdomen, hips, and back
- The incision is made above the pubic area and continues around the hips and along the lower back
- Deep sutures are used to tighten the abdominal muscles
- Excess tissue is removed from the abdomen, hips, and back
- Ideal for patients who have developed unwanted skin in the abdomen, hips, and back after significant weight loss
Following your tummy tuck surgery, swelling and bruising will occur but should resolve after a few days. You will be given a compression garment to protect your new contours and help minimize any additional swelling. Smoking will be prohibited for at least six weeks before and after your surgery. You can experience the safest recovery and best results by carefully following all post-operative instructions provided by Dr. Ip.
It is best that you only eat soft foods for one week following your procedure. After, you should carefully observe a diet of proteins, fruits, healthy fats, and vegetables to provide your body with the nutrients it needs during your recovery.
You will be able to return to work two weeks after your tummy tuck surgery. However, make sure you avoid all strenuous activity, including exercise, for approximately six weeks.
Make sure you take all antibiotics, muscle relaxants, and pain medications as recommended by Dr. Ip to prevent any infection and discomfort during your recovery.
Tummy Tuck Faq
What results can I expect after my tummy tuck surgery?
Tummy tuck surgery will provide you with a firmer, slimmer, and more defined abdominal profile. Your results will become more apparent as swelling subsides and can last for many years.
Will my results be permanent?
While tummy tuck surgery offers long-lasting results, the natural effects of aging can affect your overall contours. You can preserve the quality of your results long term by maintaining a stable weight and continuing a healthy lifestyle.
Will I develop any scars after my surgery?
While some scarring will occur, you can easily hide them under clothing, and they will likely fade over time.