Facelift surgery, technically known as a “rhytidectomy,” is a cosmetic procedure designed to provide a more youthful facial appearance. Over time, heredity, gravity, stress, and environmental conditions take a toll on our skin and cause us to look noticeably older. A facelift improves signs of aging in the face and neck, including fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, jowls, marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and hollows beneath the eyes.
Benefits of a Facelift
Restore Your Confidence
Facelift surgery provides a significantly more youthful, rested appearance, which allows patients to feel better about themselves and boosts their confidence and self-esteem.
Previous facelift techniques only tightened the skin, resulting in a pulled or “wind-blown” look. Current facelift techniques tighten the skin as well as the underlying structures of the face, providing very natural-looking results that are long lasting.
A facelift can take up to ten years off of your appearance, and when you look younger, you often feel younger. With facelift surgery, you can look as young as you feel.
Whether you desire minimal wrinkle correction or complete facial rejuvenation, there are various facelift options to meet any and all of your needs.
How do I know when I’m ready for a facelift?
If you can relate to any of the following, a facelift may be the right option for you:
- You have fine lines and wrinkles on your face or neck
- You have sagging tissues on your face or neck
- You always appear tired, sad, or angry because of deep-set wrinkles
- You appear older than you feel or older than your actual age
Types of Facelifts
A traditional facelift addresses fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin in the lower face, jowls, and neck. The surgeon tightens the facial muscles and removes sagging skin to provide a more youthful appearance. The surgeon may also redistribute or remove fat with liposuction to provide the most aesthetically pleasing results.
A traditional facelift provides the following benefits:
- Achieves the most significant improvement
- Eliminates signs of aging in all areas of the lower face and neck
- Produces a very natural appearance
Limited Incision Facelift
A limited incision facelift is a less-invasive alternative to the traditional facelift. It is an ideal procedure for men and women who seek a subtle improvement to the lower face.
A limited incision facelift provides the following benefits:
- Uses fewer and shorter incisions than a traditional facelift
- Improves fine lines and wrinkles in the lower face
- Allows for a shorter recovery time than a traditional facelift
A neck lift is often performed along with a traditional facelift procedure. The surgeon tightens the neck muscles and removes sagging skin to produce smoother, more youthful-looking neck contours. The surgeon can also remove fat deposits in the neck during this procedure.
A neck lift provides the following benefits:
- Eliminates wrinkles, “neck bands,” and sagging skin in the neck area
- Improves the appearance of a double chin
- Produces a more youthful-looking neck