A Mommy Makeover is a combination of multiple body contouring procedures that are performed in one setting. It can be especially beneficial for women whose bodies have been negatively affected by pregnancy and nursing. Due to the intensity and speed of the physical changes that occur during pregnancy and nursing, some of these changes can only be reversed with surgery. Even those who have been able to “lose the baby weight” may still suffer from unwanted body shape changes that require surgical correction to overcome. Dr. Ip can perform a Mommy Makeover to help you achieve a more youthful, feminine, and toned body shape.
Is a Mommy Makeover Right for You?
The Mommy Makeover procedure is specially designed for women who wish to reclaim their pre-baby bodies, but it can be performed on any woman. Many women develop deflated and sagging breasts, stubborn fat deposits, sagging abdominal skin, and weakened core muscles due to pregnancy, nursing, and/or major weight loss. Rather than undergoing several surgeries spaced out over many months, women can have a customized Mommy Makeover and accomplish their goals in a single day. Most Mommy Makeovers include a combination of surgeries such as breast augmentation, breast lift surgery, liposuction, and/or tummy tuck surgery. Any woman with unwanted fat storage, sagging abdominal skin, and a need for breast surgery can get a Mommy Makeover and achieve a more desirable body shape with a combination procedure that is perfectly designed to fit her needs.
Mommy Makeover Options
- Inserts saline, silicone, or gummy bear implants into the breasts to increase their size
- Requires one of the following incision types:
- Inframammary: along the breast crease
- Periareolar: around the areola
- Transaxillary: hidden in the armpit
- Transumbilical: implants are inserted endoscopically through the belly button
- Improves breast firmness and fullness
- Can improve breast shape
- Lifts the breasts to improve their position on the chest
- Tightens and removes excess skin to correct breast sagging
- Can significantly improve breast shape
- Requires incisions that are typically placed on the lower side of the breasts
- Repositions the nipples to an ideal location on the breasts
- Reduces unwanted body fat by suctioning it out of the body
- Requires small incisions for the insertion of the cannula through which the fat is suctioned out
- May be performed with one of the following techniques:
- Tumescent (traditional): tumescent fluid loosens the fatty tissue for easier removal
- Power-assisted: a powered cannula is moved back and forth in the fatty tissue for easier removal
- Ultrasonic-assisted: ultrasound energy breaks up the fatty tissue for easier removal
- Laser-assisted: laser energy liquefies the fatty tissue for easier removal
- Can be performed nearly anywhere on the body, including the upper arms, breasts, upper back, neck, abdomen, hips, buttocks, and thighs
- Improves the firmness, tone, and contour of the waistline and abdomen
- Trims away excess skin
- Tightens the abdominal muscles to improve abdominal tone
- Incorporates liposuction to remove stubborn belly fat
- May be performed with one of the following techniques:
- Mini tummy tuck: requires an incision hidden below the bikini line and improves the contour of the lower abdomen only
- Traditional tummy tuck: requires a horizontal incision between the hip bones and an incision around the navel to improve the contour of the whole abdomen
- Extended tummy tuck: requires an incision that extends from the pubic area around the hips to the lower back and improves the contour of the abdomen, hips, and back
After the Mommy Makeover, patients may need to remain in the surgical facility overnight. Once you have been discharged, you should rest at home. Compression garments will be provided to minimize swelling during recovery. Some bruising, discomfort, and tenderness are common and temporary. Pain medications and antibiotics will be prescribed to minimize pain and prevent infection. Patients should observe a healthy diet beginning with soft foods and gradually progressing to normal foods to assist the healing process.
Depending on how your body heals, you may be able to return to work two to three weeks after your Mommy Makeover. Normal activities should be reintroduced slowly, one at a time, but patients should wait to resume exercise or smoking for at least six weeks. Because the Mommy Makeover includes several major surgeries, the recovery is typically longer and slower than if you had only undergone one surgery. However, it is comparatively shorter and easier than going through multiple surgeries at different times. Dr. Ip’s personalized postoperative instructions will help you ensure that you have the safest recovery and the best results possible.
Your Mommy Makeover will leave you with a more attractive, firm, youthful, and feminine body shape. The inclusion of breast surgery will make your breasts look and feel perky and full, and liposuction and tummy tuck surgery will improve your body contour and tone. The drastic transformation provided by the Mommy Makeover procedure can enhance your appearance and your confidence for many years. Your results can be long lasting if you continue a healthy lifestyle and avoid weight fluctuations and later pregnancies after your procedure.
For more information about the Mommy Makeover, contact us to request your personal consultation with Dr. T. Y. Steven Ip. Dr. Ip is a board-certified plastic surgeon and can help you design a customized Mommy Makeover procedure that will transform your body according to your desires. Please call us at (310) 839-0776 or fill out our online contact form to request your consultation today.